SELANGOR TURF CLUB SET TO REVITALISE RACING IN 2022
Striving to embark on an ambitious program to revitalise racing, the Selangor Turf Club looks forward for a better year of racing in 2022.
Speaking at the Club’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 30 June 2022, Chairman, Tan Sri Datuk Richard Cham Hak Lim reported to the members that 2022 is a busy year as the Club revived the Triple Crown Series and increased the number of on course races with the opening of the inner track. He further stressed that, the Club is committed in executing its business plans in a timely and effective manner to ensure that the Club continues to meet the expectations of the racing fraternity.
He informed the meeting that, the Club has introduced many initiatives to grow the industry, build new capabilities for revenue generation and further promote racing as a viable wagering commodity. Among them are: –
- Increase horse population by collaborating with several International Bloodstock and Sales Houses, with a view to conduct an On-Site Horse Sale at the Club.
- Promote horse ownership by restructuring the existing Horse Runners’ Scheme which equates to an increase of more than 5% across the board to the total prize money, effective 1st July 2022.
- To enhance more alternative racing, the Club successfully conducted races on ‘TRACK TWO’ in early June, providing the Club with a viable alternative to conducting races on the Club’s main track.
- In order to increase revenue, the Club is in negotiation with foreign wagering operators to simulcast the Selangor Turf Club races globally.
- The SLTC Apprentice School which was formed in 2020 has produced competent apprentice jockeys,winning consistently with their collective percentage of winners far greater than their percentage of rides. In 2022, SLTC Apprentices rode 91 of the 262 winners, being 35% of the total races.
The AGM also saw a new face accepted into the Committee of Selangor Turf Club, Dato’ (Dr) Wee Hoe Soon@ Gooi Hoe Soon following the retirement of Dato’ Rick Loh Lap Sang. Dato’ (Dr) Wee Hoe Soon@ Gooi Hoe Soon is a board member of the Securities Commission Malaysia and a member of the Investment Panel of Employees’ Provident Fund of Malaysia (EPF).
The line-up of Committee Members of the Selangor Turf Club for the year 2022/2023 are as follows: –
- Tan Sri Datuk Richard Cham Hak Lim (Chairman)
- Mr Clement Chew Kuan Hock (Deputy Chairman)
- Mr Lim Eng Ho
- Mr Mahendran a/l Ponniah
- Mr Goik Kenzu
- Tan Sri Dato’(Dr.) Tan Boon Hock
- Mr Rodney Cheah
- Dato’ (Dr) Wee Hoe Soon@ Gooi Hoe Soon