A Night of Achievements in Entrepreneurship
It was a night full of splendour and glitter as a record of nine Tan Sri were honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the TSRC Platinum Horse Entrepreneur Award held at the Manhattan Ballroom, Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, 10 May 2023.
The TSRC Platinum Horse Entrepreneur Award is named after Tan Sri Richard Cham Hak Lim, who is currently the Chairman of Malaysia Totalisator Board, a position appointed by the Minister of Finance and the Chairman of Selangor Turf Club. Tan Sri has contributed immensely towards the growth of the equine industry in Malaysia for the past 30 years and also a business leader heading several companies.
The Award night, which was jointly organized by Selangor Turf Club and UPBH World Holdings Sdn Bhd aimed to recognize, encourage and inspire outstanding entrepreneurs, business leaders & individuals from equine and other industries that have made significant contribution to the society and economy in Malaysia and across Asia.
The night saw success being celebrated as a group together with shared purpose and mission with non-stop applause from close to 600 people who attended the event. All the awardees were recognized for their values and outstanding achievement and their contribution were portrayed in a significant way to encourage young Malaysians who wish to set foot into the world of business and finance. A total of 38 Awardees received their respective awards for different categories of Award.
Deemed as the biggest gathering of Tan Sri in an award event, Guests of Honour, Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation, YB Tuan Chang Lih Kang, presented the Lifetime Achievement Award and certificate to all nine Tan Sri.
Also present at the event were General(R) Tan Sri Dr Zulkifeli, Tan Sri Kok Oon, Tan Sri Ong Tee Keat, Tan Sri Teo Chiang Hong, Member of Kedah State Legislative Assembly, YB Tuan Simon Ooi Tze Min, YAM Tunku Dato’ Seri Shahabuddin, YM Tengku Dato’ Dr Hishammuddin Zaizi, Her Excellency Dr Petra Ponevacs-Pana and Dato’ Seri Robin Tan.
The Minister in his speech complemented that the event has brought together business leaders, corporate titans and affluent individuals in the society under one roof and could pave the way to create a community of entrepreneurs who can collaborate and support each other while fostering the Malaysia Madani spirit.
In a surprise move, Managing Director of Equine Santuary, Mr Eric Koh pledged to contribute a total of RM350,000 to Selangor Turf Club over three years from 2023 to 2025 being sponsorship of the Club’s classic race, the Tunku Gold Cup. Following this, Director of Horse City Sdn Bhd, Mr Tan Tiang Huat confirmed a sponsorship of RM300,000 over three year and Chairman of Global Capital Merchants and Access World Group, Tan Sri Nelson Tan jumped on the bandwagon and confirmed a sponsorship of RM150,000 over two years from 2023 to 2024. In total, the Club will receive RM800,000 of sponsorship for the benefit of the equine industry.
The night also honoured two sets of leaders in the field of sports. Firstly, from equine sports, Malaysia Champion Trainer Richard Lines who has the distinction of holding this title for 11 consecutive years from 2011 to 2021 was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Horse Trainer Award; Trainer H Y Cheng who clinched the Malaysia Champion Trainer title for 2022 was presented with the Horse Trainer of the Year Award 2022; and Apprentice Jockey Clyde Leck who pulled a rare feat of being crowned the Champion Jockey in both the Malaysia Apprentice Jockey and Professional Jockey categories, at only his first season of riding in 2022 was given the Outstanding Achievement Jockey Award.
Secondly, the night paid tribute to our national heroes, Malaysia’s Badminton team who won the Thomas Cup in 1992, comprising Badminton legends Datuk Rashid Sidek, Datuk Foo Kok Keong, Dato’ Razif Sidek, Dato’ Sri Jalani Sidek, Datuk Cheah Soon Kit, Soo Beng Kiang, Kwan Yoke Meng, Rahman Sidek and Wong Ewe Mun. They were honoured with an Award and certificate to each players.
Tan Sri Richard Cham in his welcoming speech highlighted that the Selangor Turf Club with 127 years of heritage operates as a non-profit organization with Corporate Social Responsibility being its priority. He added that the Club runs a self-sustaining business while providing employment to thousands of individuals and also contributes significant tax revenue to the Government. Besides that, the Club also provides an encouraging boost to the country’s tourism, agriculture and veterinary science sectors.
He further added that the event would attract and introduce the equine industry to the younger generation. The Award recipients would be admitted as a member of the Platinum Horse Entrepreneur Club (PHEC), whereby a Club House would be established at the Selangor Turf Club that would serve as an avenue to connect entrepreneurs, business leaders and horse racing stakeholders through the UPBH’s Business Ecosystem Platform.
Members of PHEC could venture into the business and networking opportunities available in the equine industry or become a horse owner to enjoy the “Sports of Kings”, which has always live up to its expectation as an exciting form of entertainment.
Below are the list of Award recipients:
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Tan Sri Dr Lim Wee Chai, Executive Chairman and Founder of Top Glove Corporation Berhad
- Tan Sri Dr Abdul Aziz, President of Equestrian Association of Malaysia
- Tan Sri Nelson Tan Jyh Yaong, Chairman of Global Capital Merchants and Access World Group
- Tan Sri David Kong Hon Kong, Founder of Nirvana Asia Group
- Tan Sri Tee Tiam Lee, Executive Deputy Chairman of Salcon Berhad
- Tan Sri Puvanendran, Chief Executive Officer of Hot Media Sdn Bhd
- Tan Sri Dr Tan Boon Hock, Executive Deputy Chairman of Optimax Eye Specialist
- Tan Sri Tee Boon Kee, Group Executive Chairman of Delloyd Group of Companies
- Tan Sri Vincent Tan, Founder of Berjaya Corporation Berhad
Entrepreneur of The Year Award
- Dato’ Sri Bobby Gan, Executive Director of GZX Global Ventures
- Dato’ Dr Stanley Chew, Director of Semenyih Ecoventure Resort & Recreation
- Dato’ Dr Ace Wong Tien Sung, Executive Director of Samdo Smart Solar (M) Sdn Bhd
- Dato’ Lim Kian Seong, Director of HKCNET Sdn Bhd
- Dato’ Choi Wei Yee, Founder and Managing Director of Celscience Group
- Dato’ Eng Chip Jin, Chief Executive Director of Asia Gemological Laboratory Sdn Bhd
- Dato’ Eddie Chan Kong Hong, Director of Basic Development Sdn Bhd
- Dato’ Dr W V Lye, Professional Lawyer
- Datuk Seah Chye Ngiap, Group Managing Director of Seng Hiap Metal Sdn Bhd
- Datin Wira Moon Sze Fui, Managing Director of MK Curtain Berhad
- Mr Na Boon Aik, Managing Director of Binasat Communications Berhad
- Mr Tan Tiang Huat, Director of Horse City Sdn Bhd
- Mr Aaron Lim Hong Jun, Managing Director of I Chemy Sdn Bhd
- Mr Andy Goh Ching Mun, CEO of Meiziya International Sdn Bhd
- Mr Liam Ong, Founder of Grandpride Luxury Travel Sdn Bhd
- Mr Patrick Wong Kwan Wah, Director of Protech Health Sciences (M) Sdn Bhd
- Mr Arion Seow Jie Hong, Director of Revolution Physiotherapy Sdn Bhd
- Mr Ooi Jian Xiang, Finance Director of KJ Property Management Sdn Bhd
- Ms Bernice Liu, International Artist
- Ms Alice Go, Director of IE Trade & IE Pro Sdn Bhd
- Ms Eva Tee, Founder and Managing Director of Feiiban Design Consultant Sdn Bhd
- Ms Qi Qi, Shenzhen Tielbo Watch Ltd
International Award of Supremacy (Horse Racing Industry)
Mr Zhang Yue Sheng from Yulong Investment Limited
Lifetime Achievement Horse Trainer Award
Mr Richard Victor Lines
Horse Trainer of the Year Award 2022
Mr Cheng Han Yong
Outstanding Achievement Jockey Award
Mr Clyde Leck
Outstanding Enterprise Award
JS International Trading Sdn Bhd
Women Entrepreneur Award
Ms Vinnie Chong, Director of Savie & Charmant Aroma Mist
Hall of Fame Icon Award
Datuk Cheah Soon Kit, 1992 Malaysia Badminton Team